Monday 25 August 2014

Dame Zaha Hadid.............

Dame Zaha Hadid is one of my favourite architects.  In a male-dominated profession, she is a standout visionary.  Her buildings have wonderful movement, are fluid and "futuristic."

At 63, she has won many awards for her creations and in last month's issue of Porter magazine she shares her life lessons or her "golden rules."

1.  Sometimes compromise is necessary.  I've never liked the word - it implies you are weakening - but you must learn to adjust your thinking every once in a while to fit the moment.  It is also important to move on - that is what makes new invention possible.

2.  Stay optimistic.  I worry all the time, but I am fundamentally an optimist, and I know I will eventually come out of any difficult situation.

3.  Trust your intuitions and instincts, even if people say they seem bizarre and strange.

4.  Nationality doesn't matter.  I am Iraqi; I live in London; I don't really have a particular place that I belong to.  Personally, to be totally displaced is a very liberating experience.

5.  Learn to relax.  I would love to relax, but the people at the office won't let me!  They always find something awful to tell me on the phone, usually at two in the morning.

6.  Work hard.  It gives you a layer of confidence.  As a woman in the architecture profession, you need confidence to know that you can carry on and take new steps all the time.

7.  Also work hard not to neglect friends and family.  Life doesn't stop when you are trying to meet a deadline.  The intensity of working under pressure can create great works, but one must not forget those people who will always be your greatest support.

8.  Don't ever give away well-designed clothes.  My own fashion style is experimental and I appreciate designers who dare to play with proportions and materials.  I never throw anything away, which means I have a lot of vintage pieces.  Recently, I found an old Romeo Gigli piece in my wardrobe and it is still marvellous, he was a genius.

9.  Home means a place where I am comfortable.  For me, that is really just a bed.  I don't even have to be in my London apartment (it is a few minutes from our office, and no, I didn't design it!) to feel at home.  But I would love to build a house for myself one day.

10.  Never give up!  You can't always get everything right every time, but you have to keep trying.






Some of Dame Zaha Hadid's award winning architecture

all photos via Tumblr


Cheers,

Deb xx

No comments:

Post a Comment